We are very honored to announce that the Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association – EMEA – will be among the organisations actively participating at the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2022, commonly known as COP27. The Conference will take place in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, on 6 to 18 November 2022.
COP27 will bring governments and organisations together to accelerate global efforts to confront the climate crisis. Over 95 heads of state have already announced their participation making COP27 one of the most important events in the world.
For the first time in the COP’s history, the Conference will host a Mediterranean Pavilion which will be located in the COP27 Blue zone. EMEA is one of the partners and will organise 3 events in the Mediterranean Pavilion and will co-organise 1 event in the Spanish Pavilion:
Mediterranean Pavilion – 9/11/2022, 11:00 – 12:00
This event will discuss the role of high income countries regarding the latest investment, financing-based initiatives, and regulatory actions to accelerate the sustainable transition towards net zero in Europe.
Moderator: Prof. Rym Ayadi – President and Founder of EMEA
Keynote speaker: Jose Manuel Campa – Chairperson of European Banking Authority
- Frank Elderson, Vice Chair of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
- Ambroise Fayolle, Vice President, European Investment Bank
- Sonja Gibbs, Managing Director and Head of Sustainable Finance, Institute of International Finance
- Monique Goyens, Director General, BEUC
Mediterranean Pavilion – 9/11/2022, 12:00 – 13:00
This event will discuss the role of low and middle income countries regarding the latest investment, financing-based initiatives and regulatory actions to accelerate the sustainable transition towards net zero in the Mediterranean and Africa.
Moderator: Prof. Rym Ayadi, President and Founder EMEA
- H.E Philip Davis, Prime Minister of the Bahamas
- Dr Vera Songwe, Chair of the Liquidity and Sustainability Facility and co-chair of the High Level Panel on Climate Finance
- Dr Emmanuel Pinto Moreira, Director, Country Economics Department, African Development Bank
- Robert Patalano, Head of Division, Financial Markets, OECD
- Nagla Bahr, Managing Director, Credit Guarantee Company, Egypt
- Kwame Sarpong Barnieh, Partner, KPMG
- Enrique de Villamore, Director, MedWaves
Spanish Pavilion – 9/11/2022, 18:00 – 19:00
This event will present panelists from various sectors in Spain to discuss the latest innovative initiatives aligning most recent market knowledge and scientific research to decisively tackle climate change and sustainability challenges. The event is co-organised by EMEA, MEDWAVES, and CEPS.
Moderator: Rym Ayadi, President and Founder of EMEA
- Urko Diez Webster, Head of Carbon Markets at Spanish Climate Change Office MITECO
- Antoni Ballbriga Torreguitart, Director of Corporate Responsibility, and Reputation, Communication and Image, BBVS
- Etienne Butruille, Deputy Global Head of Sustainability, Santander
- Dr Simon Zadek, Executive Director, NatureFinance
- Enrique de Villamore, Director, Medwaves
Mediterranean Pavilion – 10/11/2022, 11:00 – 12:00
This event will present the latest science-based innovative initiatives that tackle climate change challenges from a transdisciplinary perspective, linking economy, biodiversity, neuroscience, urban planning, and finance.
Moderator: Prof. Rym Ayadi, President and Founder of EMEA
Keynote speaker: Dr Mark Hutchinson, CEO, Fortescue Future Industries
- Dr Ralph Chami, Assistant Director, Institute for Capacity Development, International Monetary Fund
- Dr Harris Eyre, Co-founder of Brain Capital Alliance
- Enrique de Villamore, Director, Medwaves
- Rick Fox, CEO Partanna
- Dr Cynthia Echave, Project Coordinator and Senior Researcher, EMEA
If you are participating at COP27 in person, we would be delighted to see you at our events! For those who would like to follow the events online, we will be sharing the broadcasting information on our social media as soon as it becomes available.
The Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA) is a Barcelona-based regional think-tank that serves as a leading independent and innovative policy research institution; a forum for debate on the political and socio-economic reforms in Mediterranean and Africa; and promoter of actions and initiatives that fulfil objectives of sustainability, inclusiveness, regional integration and prosperity.