- This event has passed.
In order to support MSMEs and entrepreneurs in the Southern Mediterranean, EMEA is organising the second workshop in a series on Access to Finance. The second workshop, Sustainable Finance and Strategies for Sustainable Entrepreneurship, will take place on Thursday 15th June, 14:00 CET and will be held between experts on sustainable entrepreneurship in the region, and the INVESTMED beneficiaries.
Sustainable entrepreneurship is a key driver for economic growth and prosperity in the MENA region. Coupled with the ongoing intersecting crises such as climate change, youth unemployment, pollution etc., businesses in the green, blue, and cultural and creative industries have the potential to be a catalyst for change.
However, it is well understood that MSMEs and small enterprises struggle to access finance. Despite that, there are many available sources, such as grants from government agencies, non-profit organisations, and even private foundations, socially responsible banks and credit unions offering loans or lines of credit to entrepreneurs who meet certain criteria related to sustainability and social responsibility. In this workshop, we will explore strategies for sustainable finance for start-ups, such as the importance of environmental, social and governance factors, and discuss the specifics of alternative sources of finance for CCI and blue and green businesses.
- Giorgio Monsangini, Team Leader – Green Entrepreneurship & Civil Society, MedWaves
- Dr. Mohammed Abbas, Associate Director and Head of the Incubation Program, Nile Preneurs
- Johanna von Toggenburg, Country Manager, CEWAS
- Chérifa Ben Gobrane, General Manager, Culture Funding Watch
The INVESTMED project is co-funded by the European Union under the ENI CBC Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme 2014-2020. INVESTMED has a duration of 39 months, ending on 15 December 2023, with a total budget of 3.6 Million euros, of which 3.4 Million euros are funded by the European Union (90%). It involves 8 partners from Tunisia, Spain, Lebanon, Greece, Egypt, and Italy:
- Union of Mediterranean Confederations of Enterprises, BUSINESSMED (TU)
- Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association, EMEA (ES)
- European Institute of the Mediterranean, IEMed (ES)
- Beyond Group / Irada Group S.A.L, BRD (LE)
- Institute of Entrepreneurship Development, IED (GR)
- Libera Università Maria SS. Assunta, LUMSA (IT)
- Confederation of Egyptian European Business Associations, CEEBA (EG)
- Spanish Chamber of Commerce, CCE (ES)